Dockers Asks Men to Wear the Pants

dockerscropDockers, the Levi Strauss brand that makes schleppy khakis worn by Everyman, has published a “Man-ifesto” in its latest ad that wistfully recalls a time when men were men and calls on them to “step away from the salad bar” and solve the world’s problems.

The man-ifesto goes like this, “Once upon a time, men wore the pants and wore them well. Women rarely had to open doors and little old ladies never crossed the street alone.”

“But somewhere along the way the world decided it no longer needed men.”

“…today, there are questions our genderless society has no answers for. The world sits idly by as cities crumble, children misbehave, and those little old ladies remain on one side of the street. For the first times since bad guys, we need heroes. We need grownups.”

“It’s time to answer the call of manhood. It’s time to wear the pants.”

Note to Dockers:

Women control 85 – 90 percent of all consumer purchasing power. Women represent 52 percent of the U.S. population. There are more women on the national payroll then men. Women are the sole or primary breadwinners in a third of American households.

There’s a damn good chance it is a woman buying your pants for the men in their life. But not me. Not anymore. I take offense to the idea that my problems would be solved if I didn’t have to open a door. I take offense to the idea that men can solve all of the world’s man-made problems. I take offense to the idea that heroes and grownups come in only one model – the one with the penis.

Note to Dockers: This skirt isn’t buying Levis anymore.

8 comments for “Dockers Asks Men to Wear the Pants

1. About Time
    December 19, 2009 at 1:46 pm

I for one can’t wait until this catches on. I happen to like it when a gentleman holds the door for me. It doesn’t make me less of a lady. It makes the world a nicer place.

Off to buy a pair of Dockers for my husband and son!

2. Smart woman vs Over-reacting woman
    December 21, 2009 at 9:56 pm

Why would a call for men to be more manly be offensive to you?

I’d think the answer to my question would be in your post after the words “I take offense to the idea that…”, but the ideas you mentioned are not actually in the ad.

So again I say, “Why would a call for men to be more manly be offensive to you?” Have a nice week.

3. December 21, 2009 at 10:16 pm

Smart Woman, Thanks for commenting. The Dockers ad implies that manly men can save the world. I think it’s time we move past the idea that men need to behave a certain way (no salad bars, no lattes) and “wear the pants.” I prefer we accept people for who they are and recognize we need diversty to improve the world.

4. Smart woman
    December 21, 2009 at 10:30 pm

“I prefer we accept people for who they are…”

And yet we didn’t accept MEN for who they were. We said “You have to get in touch with your FEMININE side.” The Docker’s ad is a welcome reaction to that, saying “No, get back in touch with your MASCULINE side.” A world with feminine women and masculine men is more diverse than a world with just feminine women and feminine men, which is clearly the world this ad is repudiating.

5. Smart woman vs Over-reacting woman
    December 21, 2009 at 11:37 pm

So that’s it? No more Dockers for you just because an ad said:
    “The world needs more manly, chivalrous men.” (it didn’t imply they could SAVE the world, just make it a better place. where’s the offense?)

Come on, time to unflex the fist. Wouldn’t that feel nice?

-Smart Woman, over and out

6. Ms_Fu
    December 31, 2009 at 3:55 pm

I love this Docker’s commercial. The feminist movement encouraged men to turn away from their natural masculinity and Dockers is asking them to embrace it. I’m a single woman, and I will certainly be supporting Dockers in this effort (by buying Dockers pants for myself!).

7. Pingback: Twitted by jcody
  8. January 10, 2010 at 2:32 pm

I whole-heartedly applaud Dockers for actually standing up for something without fear of being politically correct! And yes the majority of women may be buying more things than men, may have more heavily saturated the work-force than men, but isn’t that kind-of the point??? Dockers is urging the men to BE men and not depend on women for things. A man being a man should not be competition for a woman. One gender is no less than the other, they’re just DIFFERENT from each other and those differences should be CELEBRATED! I am definitely more inclined to buy Dockers for my men or encourage them to choose this brand themselves, just because of this ad! Way to go, Dockers!!!